Monday, April 6, 2009

if only our love was more simple

A couple weeks ago I heard a song that had the line "If only our love was more simple". Since then it has got me asking myself the question "what is simple love?". Every time I have sat down and taken a good stab at the concept of love, I often give up in a state of confusion and "mental numbness" (yeah, that's right I made that up). My brain cant really grasp the whole thing; it does not really know what to do with love. But I know I like it, and for some reason that's all the information I feel I need.

That is the nice thing about love, no one really knows what it is, but its so incredibly simple that we kind of just have it innately wired into us. It's kind of like breathing...there is an incredibly complex procedure that is breathing (well at least it is complicated to a history student), but a little baby will figure out how to do it him or herself with absolutely no assistance. Breathing is not com
plicated for a child...it is just when that child grows up and takes biology in high school that he or she comes to understand the theory of breathing as a complicated idea. To me, its the same way with love...ask me what love is, and I won't be able to explain it to you. Sure I've heard songs, I've read books, and I've seen more than enough movies that tell me what love is (...perhaps it is like oxygen, or it lifts us up where we belong...). But ask me what love is and I will probably give you one of those answers that does make much sense: I'm full of those.

But I can show you what love is. I can also recall moments in my life where there was love. I have been in situations in the past where I was immersed in the presence of love. I can show you examples of what love is. You hear theologians argue on the pillars of love; some trace love back to more Greek and Latin words than you can handle. But most of the time, for myself at least, you sometimes just see love, and by itself, it suffices.

Love is a funny thing because the more complicated you make it, the less special it becomes; the more mundane it seems. If only we knew how to love more simply. Reflecting on the last year, I have come to really love the guys at my fellowship here at Queen's (Athletes in Action). Why? Because our love is simple. I feel like guys always get a bad rap for being too simple: we do not analyze things enough, we are too laid back, if something is too complicated for us, we just say screw it
. But sometimes it's alright to be simple. It's funny how having a 4th year cook for a 1st year on a sunday where the caf doesn't serve food can teach more to that first year than any bible study they attend or any sermon they hear. It's strange how growing a beard with another guy can make you feel more at home than any welcome program. Its funny how sometimes you feel closer to God and more in-tune with the church through the communion of a little over 80 lbs of meat.

It is amazing how love manifest itself in the most simple and basic things. Hang around with kids, they keep it simple. And lets face it, being in a room full of kids can be the most stressful and beautiful portrait of love. I don't think they are actively concerned with trying to love other people. Rather, they just live simple (and often quite stupid...in the nicest way of course) lives, and out of that simplicity, love just naturally flows.

I believe that people are looking for simple love; yes sometimes that even means stupid love. Maybe that is why people are so drawn towards children...because they offer what the w
orld has yet to taint: a love so simple, so basic, pure, and honest. From my perspective, a lot of times people are looking for love that comes from the gut and not from the head; love that is so instinctual and not prepared ahead of time that it is almost irrational and illogical. I am not saying this is the only type of love, but I am just saying that I feel we need to rediscover (or discover) this love. Learning to keep our love simple, keep our love pure, and keep our love honest. If we keep our love simple, it, in turn, becomes the most radical love we can give: it is just harder to put boundaries, restrictions, and guidelines to simple things, rather when things are simple, people just "get it". I encourage you to find out what this means in your own life.

If only our love was more simple...then what would happen?




...Is this simple love? It sure is stupid love...but with complete honesty I can say that it is just about the most profound sort of love I know how to give an
d know how to receive.

*pictures and videos from meatfest2009. for more information see www.meat-fest.ca.

2 comments:

  1. "all you need is love" - i'd wanna hear your take on that too.
    (i agree with you with simplicity in love)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post, Chris! I agree that often we lose the beauty of things when we try too hard to define or improve them. Sometimes I feel like I put too much of an emphasis on being directive...which isn't bad, but being loving or Christ-like isn't just in the intention behind my actions, but very much who I am too - when I cook a meal, how I give to others, the way I am in my down time, etc. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to see love in so many different forms.

    Those videos, btw, are ridiculous. I echo the sentiment of the guy in the second one... totally out of control......I wonder how this would translate into CCF...? I feel like people would get hurt :/

    ReplyDelete