Travelling around Europe for the past 3 weeks, I have seen so much, have been in so many places and moments, that have forced me to be completely and utterly struck with awe. The sorrow, scared-ness, and sanctuary of standing in one of the gas chambers at the Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp; standing under the Eiffel Tower as it lit the Parisian sky; in a sea of patriotic Germans celebrating the victory of their football club, beer everywhere and undignified joy at its greatest.
It is hard for me to describe these moments in any other way than beautiful. As I write this I am 3571 metres high on the highest point in Europe: Junfraujoch in Interlaken, Switzerland. As I simply just look out at the glaciers, endless mountains, and a blue sky that marks the border between heaven and earth, I cannot help but assume that I am in a moment of beauty. The mountains, so untouched and so untamed, contrast the busy schedule and rushed appointments of living in a big city like Toronto. It is truly amazing; I keep thinking to myself, how could something like this exist right in the middle of our busy world; how can something this beautiful be so completely hidden to the majority of people in the world.
I took out my Bible and flipped to Psalms expecting that God was going to give me some verse about his beauty or something on the power of his might and creation. Yet this is what He revealed to me: "O LORD, what is man that you care for him, the son of man that you think of him" (Psalms 144:3-4). Of all the beautiful things in the world, of all the astonishing things in His creation, people sure are a big disappointment; a beautiful letdown. We exist so far from our intended purpose, the most sacred things about us have become so vulgar, we refuse to coexist with creation and with each other because even though we were designed for community and communion, we have become a selfish breed.
So the question King David asks still boggles my mind. Who are we that you care for us, that you even think or consider us? Who am I that He finds me more beautiful than the scenery before my very eyes? To claim myself as his greatest and most treasured creation, in my head, would be sheer and utter blasphemy.
Yet, He is the one that says it, the one that treasures me; it doesn't make sense but no matter how much I try to convince Him of this, He refuses to listen. I can look out at these mountains and admit I do not know anything about them except that they are visually and emotionally pleasing. But God knows everything about me: all the dirt, all the bad thoughts I've had, the sinful things I've done, and yet He claims with confidence that I am beautiful.
Sitting at the top of Europe, over 3500 metres in the air, I can say with confidence that I know what beauty is. I can honestly say that right here, right now, I am in the midst of beauty. In this moment, I am learning what beauty is. Yet, I am realizing even more that my perception and understanding of beauty is just a small glimpse, a minute fraction, of God's definition of beauty. I know that for Him to call me beautiful, more beautiful than this moment, He is either completely out of His mind, or is working under a whole other conceptualization of beauty; one that is so far from making sense to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment